I wanted to get some recipes out to our blog. These were the recipes that a group of girls and I made at my house. The theme of these classes are cooking on a budget. I love to cook and was encouraged by my friends and family to have a cooking class out of my house, and so here are the recipes for my students and for all of you.
Crock pot Roasted Chicken
1 whole chicken
1 small onion
1 head small garlic
2 teasp. salt
1 teasp. celery seed
1 teasp. pepper
1 teasp. granulated garlic
1/2 teasp. onion powder
– mix the spices with the salt and set aside
– stuff the cavity of the chicken with the onion and the head of garlic, plus one teasp. of the spice mix.
– place the chicken inside of your crock pot, breast facing down, sprinkle the rest of the spice mixture over the whole chicken. Place the lid on the crock pot, and let cook for six hours on high.
When your chicken has cooled to room temperature, skin it and take the meat off the bone. Separate the white meat from the dark into two separate bowls. Reserving all the skin, bones, and cartilage, you will put all these extra parts back in your crock pot to make crock pot chicken stock. The white meat, will be used to make chicken salad, and the dark meat will be used to make chicken enchiladas.
Crock Pot Chicken Stock
All the left over juice from the chicken and the skin, cartilage, and bones
1 small onion, plus the cooked onion and cooked garlic from the cavity of the chicken
2 to 4 stocks of celery
2 to 4 carrots
1 teasp. salt
1/4 cup wine or if you do not have any use 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
Note: if you have any left over clean vegetable scraps such as fresh tomato tops, green onion tops, onion skins, or fresh herbs throw those in as well.
– Place all of this back in your crock pot an cover with water to the top, and cook on high for 25 hours with lid on. You can skim off any impurities if you want ,those collect on the surface of the stock, just throw the skimmings in your compost bucket. There are so many uses for stock such as making a quick gravy, a soup base, a quick sauce, and anything in a recipe that calls for water, substitute it with stock. Use whatever you need and freeze the rest.
Note: Stock is healing to drink when you feel a cold coming on, or while you are sick, or while you are in labor having a baby. Stock is life giving. You might want to also consider the beauty of Asian women, and how they age so well, it is because they eat so much stocks and broths which contain the same cartilage and collagen your skin is made up of as well. Cheap Botox and face lift, and fountain of youth.
3 cups dark meat -this is an approximation
4 Tablesp. butter, or olive oil, lard, coconut oil
1/2 cup chopped onion
1/2 cup chopped pepper, any color
3 to 4 cloves chopped or mashed garlic
1 teasp. chili powder
1 teasp. cumin
1 teasp. salt
16 corn tortillas
1 and 1/2 cups cheese such as cheddar, monterrey jack,white queso or whatever amount of cheese you have available.
– Preheat oven to 375
– Butter a baking dish
– Place the 4Tablespoons of fat in an iron skillet, when fat is heated add the chopped onions, and peppers, cook on medium high heat until caramelized. Add salt, spices, and chopped chicken, cooking for another minute.
– Take your meat mixture and fill your tortillas, and place in the buttered dish. You can also add refried beans if you want ( buy the fat free refried beans or ones that only contain lard, and no hydrogenated fats).
– Now you will need the enchilada sauce to cover them.
2 cups salsa
1 cup chicken stock
2 cloves chopped garlic or mashed
– Place the above ingredients in a blender and blend until smooth.
-Cover your enchiladas in the sauce and cheese. Cover with foil, place in the oven for twenty minutes, then uncover them, place them back in the oven, for ten more minutes. Serve with sour cream, fresh salsa, jarred salsa, and chopped green onion.
3 cups white meat chicken cubed
1/2 cup finely chopped celery
1/2 cup tidbit pineapple (optional)- reserve the juice
1/2 cup chopped walnuts or pecans
1/2 cup halved grapes (optional)
1/2 green onions chopped
1 teasp. salt
1 teasp. pepper
1/2 teasp. celery seed
1 cup mayonnaise
1/4 cup pineapple juice
-Mix all ingredients together except salt, spices, mayonnaise, and reserved pineapple juice. Take a bowl and whisk these ingredients together and pour the dressing over the chicken salad and mix together. Serve with crackers or a lettuce salad or fresh bread.
10 to 12 apples peeled and sliced
1/3 cup sugar
2 teasp. cinnamon
1/4 teasp. salt
1 teasp. vanilla
1/2 teasp. cloves
3 to 4 Tablesp. flour
3 to 4 Tablesp. butter
-MIx altogether and put in a baking dish
-Now prepare the crust to cover the apples
Pie crust dough
1 and 2/3 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 teasp. salt
1/2 cup lard, butter, coconut, and palm oil
6 to 8 Tablesp. cold water
-Preheat oven to 375
-Cut the fat into the flour and salt mixture, it should look like pea size and smaller balls. Add the water slowly, and mix together forming a ball. Get your rolling pen out, flour it very well, and flour your counter very well, place dough on the floured surface, start rolling out to the shape of your baking dish. Remember to move your dough turning it in between each roll of the rolling pin so it does not stick to the surface of the counter. Now gently flour the surface of the rolled out dough, and then roll the floured dough up on the rolling pin and then roll out over the apple mixture. Fold the pie dough around the edges and crimp the dough. Prick the top of the crust a couple of times to allow the steam escape. Place in the oven for 45 to 60 minutes.